Sharing my thrifted chair project...
I found a vintage vinyl chair at the thrift shop. It was a sturdy chair with just a few stains and dings. I brought it home with plans to clean and cover it. I decided to use duct tape for a couple of reasons... It's offered in a variety of colors these days. Also, I'm reminded of favorite leather chairs and sofas with duct tape patches holding them together for just a little while longer. I wanted to take that to another level.
I chose a quilt pattern to lay down as the design. Quilt blocks are an interest of mine and I love to find alternative ways to incorporate them in my art work and home. I drew the block and made a stencil out of card stock. I then traced the blocks directly on the chair with a Sharpie. Once the design was in place, I began to tape the quilt blocks in black. After the blocks were taped, the chair was finished in white.
It took just over a half of a roll of black and two and a half rolls of white to complete the chair. There was very little tape waste.
I am happy with the end result. It's fun and functional. I'm even looking forward to the wear and tear in hopes that it resembles a worn quilt with tattered seams.
Rikkianne Van Kirk