The day of green is marching upon us - for those of you who don't like glugging galons of green tinted beer and doing shots of irish cream at a crowded, sticky-floored bar, why not celebrate St.Patrick's Day with a bowlful of minty cool ice cream instead? This ice cream is a peppermint breeze to make - you only need a few ingredients... and an ice cream maker would help! They're well worth the investment, especially if you're a one-pint-a-week ice cream eater like myself.
You Will Need:
1 cup of 3.25% milk
2 cups of heavy cream (33% milk fat)
1 300ml can of sweetened condensed milk
3 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
tiny amount of green food colouring
A high quality chocolate bar - I used Lindt brand (100 grams).
1. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the milk, cream, condensed milk, peppermint extract, salt and food colouring.
2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chop up the dark chocolate into shards using a heavy knife.
4. When your ice cream mixture is good and cold, pour it into the ice cream maker bowl and mix according to ice cream maker instructions. I churned mine for about 25 minutes.
5. Once ice cream is churned, fold the dark chocolate into the ice cream.
6. Enjoy your ice cream immediately - or, pour ice cream into an airtight container to freeze for later power-snacking.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, ice cream lovers!
Lyndsay Sung is a baker and blogger at Coco Cake Land. She loves super cute cakes, sweet design and snacks. She lives in Vancouver, Canada with her husband and toddler son.