This post is sponsored by Staples Print & Marketing Services. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Poppytalk.
With a snowstorm looming this evening I got to thinking how much I missed summer. It's funny how cold weather can do that. I don't do well with cold and although it doesn't really get that cold here in Vancouver compared to the rest of Canada, I've somehow become spoiled. Having grown up in Northern Alberta though, I do know a thing or two about cold weather and one of the fun things we used to do to cope when I was little was to have indoor winter picnics! Or as we used to call them, "A Long Winter's Nap Picnic". On those really cold days when cabin fever was looming, my Mom used to spread out a picnic blanket onto the living room floor and we'd have a very special picnic. Mom always had a few treats hidden for just those occasions, or sometimes she'd whip up a fresh batch of homemade donuts or cinnamon buns. A story or two would be read as we'd sip on hot chocolate and carols would play in the background. Such special times for my siblings and I.
So I thought for a fun gift (from Christmas past) for my Mom this holiday, I'd gift her with a photo gift commemorating those winter picnics I remember so fondly. I was delighted to find out Staples now offers blankets that you can customize using photos. A perfect size for a little picnic, crib (or a long winter's nap). I chose a photo of a wintery scene I photographed last winter and added the words, "A Long Winter's Nap" using a photo editing app to it. I loved how it turned out and can't wait to gift to my Mom!
DIY Photo Blanket
You can make a blanket by simply uploading your image to Staples Print & Marketing Services and following the directions there. It's super easy and fun to do!
But if you want to add words to a photo like we did, you'll need to first do so using a photo editor application.
To start, you'll need to make sure your image is large enough so it doesn't pixelate. I used an original image from my camera (approx. 3457 x 5198 pixels) at 300 dpi. You'll also need a photo editor application like Photoshop or even Illustrator can work. I like using Illustrator when using text as it's a little more text friendly. Open your application and open the image or place the image (if using Illustrator). Make sure your image is a hi-res image as mentioned above. If using Illustrator you'll need to edit your art board around your image. To do that, once you have placed your image into your new document do the following:
1. Click on "File" then click on "Document Set Up".
2. At the top right hand corner of the window that just opened up click on "Edit Artboard"
3. Then drag the dotted line around the edges around the image, then click on the arrow key to click away.
To place the text:
1. Open up a text box by clicking on the "T" (for text) in the toolbox
2. Choose a font. I used "Futura". Click on "Type", then "Font" and drag down till you find the font you wish to use.
3. Type in your phrase. If you need to, you can select to center your phrase by selecting the "center" option in the paragraph panel in the toolbox.
4. Save the file as a jpg to your desktop.
5. Visit Staples Print & Marketing Services and upload your .jpg file by following the instructions on their site.
Staples has everything you need this holiday season from photo gifts to stocking stuffers. Click HERE for more information.